PREVIEW: Mo Lowda

Senior year of high school, a friend texted me a Spotify link.

This was par for the course with this particular friend; we had similar music tastes and we would always send each other the songs we obsessed over. This time, he sent me a song I had never heard of: Curse the Weather by Mo Lowda and the Humble.

So I put on my headphones and gave the song a listen. I figured it would be the traditional indie rock we both listened to. I was wrong.

Curse the Weather was, and still is, one of the most unique songs on my playlists and I love it. I love the guitar riff that makes up most of the chorus. I love the lyrics — “I always listen to the optimistic spirit in me” is always running through my head. I love Mo Lowda’s raspy voice.

So, as has happened several times this year, I was browsing through the calendar for The Ark when I saw an artist I recognized.

A band I know and like at my favorite venue in town? Sign me up.

Mo Lowda and the Humble — with opening act The Quiet Hollers, an indie songwriter band who sing about the social landscape — will bring a different sound to The Ark than the venue is traditionally associated with. That’s my favorite thing about The Ark — even if I know the band, I’ve learned that I never really know what to expect. Every show is unique, and every show leaves me in awe.

Mo Lowda and the Humble with The Quiet Hollers come to The Ark tomorrow, March 26, at 8 PM. Tickets are $15 online, at The Ark or at the Michigan Union Ticket Office.

Aria Gerson

Aria Gerson is a junior majoring in political science with minors in history and writing. Outside of ArtSeen, she covers football for the Michigan Daily and loves sports, trivia and indie music. On any given day, you can find her at Starbucks, watching The Bachelor or crying about Little Women. A former theatre kid, she has been known to randomly burst into song in public. You can find her on Twitter @aria_gerson.