PREVIEW: Jazz + Chocolate

This Thursday, aka Valentine’s Day, my man is taking me out for some Jazz + Chocolate at Cultivate Coffee and Tap House in Ypsilanti. Cultivate is a hipster coffee shop meets brewery meets venue meets community center. If there’s something you want to do, you can probably do it at Cultivate. I first visited Cultivate a couple weeks ago to get some work done and found a dynamic, inviting space. The main room is full of long picnic tables but, unlike most spots on campus, no one gives you a dirty look if you sit next to them. There were students getting homework done while sipping coffee, folks meeting up for lunch and a beer, and teachers tutoring high school students. In addition to this awesome space and atmosphere, Cultivate also provides support for local businesses and runs a community garden behind their converted auto shop. One of the best things about Cultivate is that it’s actually super accessible from campus, just hop on the number 4 bus to Ypsi!
This Thursday, Cultivate will be transforming into a romantic spot for lovey dovey couples to drink wine, eat cake, and listen to jazz. Josef Deas will be performing, though I’m not entirely sure what that will look or sound like. He’s a local artist that has been on the scene for over five years and has performed at the Blind Pig in the past, so he must be pretty legit. One of my favorite things about jazz is how diverse the genre can be, so I’m always up for a jazz fusion-y surprise. And, if nothing else, there’s always the cake.

Graphic courtesy of the Cultivate Facebook page