PREVIEW: It’s TAPpening

The last time I saw It’s TAPpening, the winter showcase from the RhythM Tap Ensemble, my review included quite possibly the worst lede I have ever written. Included here for posterity:

“That tappened. And it was, well, fanTAPstic.”

And though my puns were terrible, I enjoyed the 2018 show and it stuck with me. RhythM is the only group of its kind on campus; a dance company that focuses specifically on tap. While there are several contemporary, jazz and hip-hop troupes, RhythM is one of a kind.

So when I saw that RhythM was having its winter show this week, there was no question that I wanted to go.

If you’ve never seen a tap show, it’s a rhythmic, energetic and highly technical style of dance. While other types of dance emphasize primarily aesthetics, tap combines that with the sound of the taps on the shoes and how those sounds fit with the music. Though tap dancing is typically associated with Broadway musicals and old-time jazz standards, the last time I saw RhythM, they performed most of their numbers to current pop songs, with a few twists. You can watch videos of RhythM’s previous performances on their YouTube channel.

If you’re looking for a high-energy dance performance that showcases impressive musicality, rhythm and style — and a show you won’t see anywhere else — It’s TAPpening is for you.

It’s TAPpening is on Friday, January 24 at 7 p.m. at the Mendelssohn Theatre at the Michigan League. Tickets can be purchased online at $5 for students and $10 for nonstudents. The event is free with a Passport to the Arts. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Aria Gerson

Aria Gerson is a junior majoring in political science with minors in history and writing. Outside of ArtSeen, she covers football for the Michigan Daily and loves sports, trivia and indie music. On any given day, you can find her at Starbucks, watching The Bachelor or crying about Little Women. A former theatre kid, she has been known to randomly burst into song in public. You can find her on Twitter @aria_gerson.