Near but so far

As a result of staying at home all day, going out has felt rather strange. Walking to the post office to mail postcards home feels like uncharted territory… it feels almost illegal to be breathing outside air. Why is there no one everywhere?

Recently my watercolor class worked on landscape pictures around Ann Arbor. As I sifted through pictures of Ann Arbor I captured during spring break, I realized how different these places feel now that I haven’t seen them in so long. They almost feel unreal, like some other worldly place yet they are less than a mile away from my apartment.

Physically distancing ourselves can create another form of distance, emotional distance. Even though I live close to the Orion sculpture, I feel far from it. I look at it nostalgically, recalling the many moments I pass by going to the Union for lunch. Other memories flood into my mind, running for buses, braving the flurries during a storm, watching the Orion disappear for a few months as it was taken apart. And seeing it return.

I miss Ann Arbor and the people who bring it to life.

Below are a few pictures I took of Ann Arbor on film during spring break (Pentax K1000, KodakColorPlus200)

sarahshu

senior studying economics + psychology. occasional writer, ambivert, and can be found in coffee shops