Scribble #7: Back of Your Head

“Big monster lover, a bigger pusher over,”

“I think the hardest thing about my life is that I’ve met so many people all over the world who I love, but they’re not friends with each other.” This quote from Cat Power (Chan Marshall), singer-songwriter behind this week’s song, Back of Your Head, sums up part of my experience making friends in college so far.

“Stands alone in most walks of life.”

While I am grateful to have no shortage of beloved friends, most of them don’t know each other. I met many of them last year, during the height of the pandemic, when meeting with more than one person at a time was extremely difficult. As a result, my closest friends, for the most part, do not know each other very well. 

“Walks alone in most walks in life.”

I wouldn’t trade my relationships with my friends for anything, but sometimes I have a hard time being able to make sure I see all of them somewhat regularly. Managing my time enough to make sure I meet up with my various friends can be challenging, but I am grateful that we know that we will stay friends regardless of whether or not we see each other on a weekly basis. 

“See you looking through me like you’ve unzipped the zipper.”

Over the weekend, I met up with my best friend for the first time in two weeks. With our schoolwork, classes, clubs, and other commitments keeping us busy (not to mention the fact that we live on opposite sides of campus), it was such a relief to be able to spend time with the person who knows me the best. We agreed that going two weeks without seeing each other is far too long and we will do our best to not let it be so long again.

“You hold the big picture so well.”

This is only my third semester of college, and my first semester that resembles something like a typical college experience. I have plenty of time to introduce my friends to each other and meet even more. I could never have imagined that I would have so many friends a year ago, and I am so grateful that I have been fortunate enough to make so many so quickly. Who knows where I will be a year from now?

Listen to Back of Your Head here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8MKnV5i6qU

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!