Industrious Illustrating #2: Life Drawings 1

Hey all! I hope everyone has had a good and restful spring break so far! This week, I’d like to share some examples of life drawings from a sketchbook I maintained during the November of last year.

Below, I used watercolor and inks at a live nude model drawing session held by MDraw to study the model’s skin texture and gesture. I’m looking forward to MDraw hosting more life drawing sessions after spring break, as the entry free is pretty affordable (less than a cup of boba!) and I always feel like my skills have improved after a session.

Meanwhile, these life studies are far more loose and fluid. I looked at my classmates during a lecture and tried to capture the gesture and contour of their bodies first, leaving details and exact proportions second. The result is a study of motion in stationary subjects.

I don’t just draw human subjects, either. These three sketchbook pages are from an ink drawing project I did for Drawing: Observation class during that month. Professor Guilmet brought her fascinating collection of dried, pickled, and taxidermied animals to class for us to draw from. Once the weather warms up a little more, I might go to a zoo or a wildlife sanctuary so that I can draw some animals that are still kicking and breathing! Maybe they’ll find their way into one of my drawings.

If any of you guys are also visual artists, I highly recommend drawing anything you find interesting from live observation. No two people find the exact same images and objects interesting, so you’ll gradually develop a visual library in your brain that is completely unique to who you are as a person. And who knows, maybe your drawings could spark an interest in someone else toward something they previously didn’t see the value in. 🙂

Robin

I'm Robin (he/they), a third year enrolled as a User Experience Design student. I'm especially interested in eventually professionally creating artwork for entertainment such as animated films, books, and video games. I want to share my artwork with a wider audience using this blog, and I also want to open up a conversation about what goes into making illustrations and artwork both on the creative and business sides..