The Day I Became a Pageant Girl

Growing up, I never dreamed of becoming Miss America. My exposure to pageantry consisted of Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality, commercial “sneak peaks” of Toddlers in Tiaras and stereotypes of bleach blondes dyed orange by too much spray tan. So last year when a family friend suggested I compete for the title of Miss Washtenaw County I politely declined, knowing that I was not the type of girl who did that sort of thing. This year, the allure of scholarship money overpowered my doubts and on the day of the deadline I submitted my entry form, not fully realizing what I had gotten myself into.

At orientation I discovered exactly what I had signed up for. As expected, the other contestants were gorgeous. Not the fake, too much make up kind of beauty that looks good from a few feet back but the girl next door kind of beauty generated by an immense confidence in themselves and a genuine smile. Beyond that, they were smart. Students at top universities with majors ranging from logic to dance, I heard discussion of 400 level math classes, impressive work experience and lofty career ambitions. Needless to say, these were not the girls I expected and I was intimidated.

Every volunteer I interacted with had only the highest of compliments to pay to the Miss America Organization and now having been through the local level of competition, I understand why. Each contestant is scored in 5 categories which have been designated the following percentage of the final score: Interview – 25%, On Stage Question – 5%, Health and Fitness (commonly known as swimsuit) – 15%, Talent – 35% and Evening – 20%. This scoring system rewards talented young women who are able to intelligently discuss issues currently facing our country and generation, who also are able to exhibit poise and confidence in front of large groups of people. The competition helps improve the contestants’ public speaking skills and awareness of current social issues. Additionally it helps to develop stage presence and increase their comfort level on stage in front of large groups of people.

When the results were announced I was completely taken by surprise. I entered the competition for fun. Worst case I would spend my Saturday in pretty dresses and best case I would earn some scholarship money. So when they called my name as Miss Washtenaw County 2014 I was stunned. The next 15 minutes in which I took my first walk as MWC 2014, took photos with the other contestants and my family, and proceeded to the afterglow are a blur.

If you had told me a month and a half ago that I would be Miss Wastenaw County 2014 odds are I would have burst out laughing. However, I cannot be more excited to spend the next year working on promoting my personal platform, Women in STEM, and supporting Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals as part of the national platform. This year will be an adventure and I’m looking forward to every moment of it.