The Indian Artist, Revamped: A Show for Art Enthusiasts

Good morning everyone! I hope that you are all doing well. I have had a rough couple of weeks but am trying to keep my head up high and finish off this semester strong. Today, I wanted to share with you all a really wonderful British television series that I happened upon a couple years back.

It is called Portrait Artist of the Year and each episode features a regional competition in which hobbyist and professional artist contestants are challenged to produce a portrait of one of three famous sitters, and the judges then select who moves onto the semi-final. The top-three finalists  will have their work displayed in one of the UK’s world-famous cultural institutions. The winner of the show will receive a £10,000 commission to produce an artwork that will become a permanent part of the British Library. Famous sitters for the show have previously include Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, and Asa Butterfield, to name a few.

It is a beautifully lighthearted show that highlights incredible artists and their unique means of capturing life in their art. I implore anyone who has some time to check it out. Here is a link to a playlist of the first three seasons! Enjoy!

I know it was a short one this week but I really wanted to share a different form of art with you all! Please let me know if there is anything you all would like to see from me. If any questions or thoughts arise, please comment or reach out to me at my socials!

Until next week,

Riya

Instagram: @riya_aggarwal.art

Portfolio: https://theindianartist.weebly.com/

Riya A

My name is Riya and I am currently a Senior at U of M studying Molecular Biology with a double minor in Art & Design and Sociology on the pre-med track. Art has been a huge passion of mine from a very young age and in the final iteration of my column, I look forward to sharing my passions as they connect to my culture, medicine, and art.