Industrious Illustrating #23 – Finished Book

For those following along with Industrious Illustrating, posts 19 and 20 were about my process of creating a childrens’ book for ARTDES 270. Well, now I have a finished product for my efforts! I cut out several 3.5″ x 3.5″ chipboard squares, printed and cut out 7″ x 3.5″ spreads of my illustrations, and pasted it all together using rubber cement. The end result looks like this:

While I’m still not super into making physical objects such as paper cuttings or sculptures, I still enjoyed getting to see my efforts come together into a tangible object. I’d say that it’s one of the pleasures inherent to being creative and making artwork. I’ll definitely look forward to working in various ways in the future to explore and realize all kinds of different artistic visions I may nurture!

Industrious Illustrating #20 – Childrens’ Book

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This week I’m continuing off of last week’s post by showing what the end result of my sketching and exploration process for this ARTDES 270 childrens’ book project looks like. I edited together 3.5″ x 3.5″ square illustrations and added text digitally to create a cover and four spreads.

If you saw last week’s post about the material explorations I did ahead of making the finished illustrations, you might recognize that I took cues from the thicker paints (gouache and digital) I experimented with to try using saturated application of watercolor in a similar way. I ended up pretty satisfied with the results, so I’m glad I took the time to play around with other mediums first.



The end result will become a physical board book made out of chipboard, but I haven’t made the prototype yet because I’ve been too busy with schoolwork and holiday break travel to assemble it. I may post the finished physical book in another column if anyone is interested in seeing it, however.

Once I return from my trip abroad, I’ll do my best to find some time to make sketches of what I saw and integrate them into future illustrative projects!