It’s Not Who You Know

I was discussing this matter with my Father over lunch one day.  He loves to quote a speaker at one commencement speech he attended saying, “It’s not who you know, but what who you know knows.”  Wow, say that 10 times fast!

I contest him on this topic every time he brings it up, and if you know anyone over the age of 50 you will know their repetitions are far from few.

His argument is that people who you know often know the same people you do, so they are not great resources for you and thus do not get your name ‘out there.’ Whatever this infinite abyss is.

I argue that those you know are more than likely to know an outside group you do not, and therefore will hope to introduce you to them.

As a college student the relationships with the people around us seem to determine a great deal about our present and future lives.  From your best friends to your boyfriends, or your ‘potential’ love lives for those of us out there still waiting to be paired up; every person you interact with determines something about your life.

So if my Dad’s philosophy on relationships is correct, then it seems as if in order to go far you must know a wide range of people.  This seems perfect in theory, but in practice it sounds terrifyingly daunting.  Maybe that’s the part I’m not understanding or blocking myself from understanding.

I am trying to facilitate relationships in the art field, specifically in the museum world, so that I will get letters of recommendations and hopefully secure a job after this magical world of college.

Maybe like many things in life, I should have a backup plan.  Who knows who I will run into or what opportunities may come my way.  In that case, maybe having a connection with many people in an array of fields will open more doors than simply knowing everyone at UMMA, in my case.

So maybe the goal is not who you know, but how many people you know and what can they offer you.  Choose wisely about the relationships you want to foster.  Make sure they better you as a human.

Keep all of your options open and I am sure those ‘right’ people will come your way.

Sara Studies Art History and Enjoys Long Walks

Sara Olds

University of Michigan Student interested in mobilizing the arts in the community