Movies you really want to see

Is any one else disappointed about the seemingly lack of original movies these days?

Sherlock Holmes and The Lovely Bones are both recent releases based off of books, and who can forget the popularity of the movie adaptations of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings?  I’ll admit, I’ve seen the last two HP movies at the midnight release, complete with costume. And cult movies like Blade Runner? You can thank Philip K. Dick for writing the story it’s based on.

Graphic novels are also a primary source.  V for Vendetta was based off one, as was 300.  And let’s not get into the movies that come from superhero comics.  Those have been produced by Hollywood since the late 70s.

I’m not saying this is a bad thing (I love Ironman, LotR will always be dear to my heart, and we’ll just skip over my obsession for Transformers, shall we?) but I’m simply saying I would love originality.  What’s next, movies based on RPGs?

Actually, Prince of Persia is in the works.

I’ve never actually played Prince of Persia, so I can’t say anything about the game, but since we’re on a kick of bringing old school things into a new light, such as Star Trek, why can’t we do the same with games?  Why not re-version classic arcade games, like Frogger?

Why not Pac-Man?

It’s got action, romance, guns, mystery, and a hip new look for a favorite figure from our childhood. What’s not to like? My roomie would be the first in line for this movie if it was real.

But me? I want a little more drama, a little more angst. Tetris seems to satisfy that for me.

And if none of these suit you, you can always chose Minesweeper.

But would these be amazing to watch? They would be able to reach out to the older generation, hoping to remind them of their childhood and draw in a new and younger audience. And it’s this timelessness that makes a movie a classic. Watch, in five years one of these will actually be made and land an Oscar nomination.

You arcade loitering blogger,

Jenny

Jenny

I'm a junior majoring in Communications and going for a minor in Global Media Studies. I love art, watching and creating, and have a really big weakness for chocolate. And German tea, what they have is much better than ours.