Fantastic football.

I wanted to write this post after watching the halftime show of the Super Bowl because I was sure it would be worth commenting on.  And sure enough, it was.  With a great performance by the timeless The Who, this year’s Super Bowl halftime show was a performance worth watching, not just for its musical aspects, but its technical visuals as well.

It’s not often that one would think of football and relate it to art– but that’s exactly what came to mind.  Art is abound in this 100 yard field covered with bulky, athletic men.  From the colors of the uniforms to the layout of the playing field, from the architecture of the stadium to the rippling colors of fans’ football jerseys, flags, hats, and other paraphernalia, football (and other sports) is just another diverse playing field of art.

This year’s Super Bowl is no exception.  What astounded first and foremost about this year’s halftime show– as it did for many others, I’m sure– were the lighting effects.  The stage caught my eye early on, as I carefully observed the transition taking place behind the sportscasters offering their mid-game commentary.  I could already see that there were many white lights and lines.  And when the camera cut away to center field and I saw those rows and concentric circles of many bright white lights, I knew instantly we were in for a great performance.  The way those lights flashed and pulsed with the music, how they ran over and into each other, created these great shapes, gave bursts of light and dissipated in time with the singing, as they flashed in accordance with each stroke of the bass, I was captivated.

I do enjoy watching football for its athletic aspects, but this was one of the first times that I’ve seen it for its truly artistic aspects as well.  Super Bowl XLIV was brimming with art– incorporating not only the art of colors and movement, but also music and visuals and nature and science and technology.  Showing yet again, that art is not merely confined to its separate, specified industries but that it surrounds us daily and astounds us in the most surprising events.

—–

Gabby Park enjoys watching football and especially critiquing the commercials aired on Super Bowl Sunday.

Gabby Park

A triple concentrator in Communication Studies, French, and History of Art, who loves to eat and ballroom dance.