The British Invasion (part 2)

In the 60s it was all about the Brits – the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Zombies were some of U.K’s finest musical exports that found tremendous success stateside. Now, another crop of talented musicians from the other side of the pond have once again invaded our airwaves. Here is a brief overview of the artists that are leading the British offensive:

1. V V Brown: Those of you who read Perez Hilton religiously (like me) might have heard about this Northampton native a few months ago. Recently featured in the SXSW festival, Brown promises to definitely be a top charter soon enough. Part Estelle and part Amy Winehouse (the part that isn’t a crazy crack addict…), VV has a style and soul that is very retro (think Dita Von Teese, but less sass and more class). To get your feet wet, be sure to check out “Shark in the Water” and “Game Over.”
  2. Tinchy Styder: The best way I can describe this rapper from East London is that he is the British version of Akon. Though his rhymes (yes, I said rhymes!) might not be as intellectual as Lupe Fiasco, he is pure pop/hip-hop perfection. I dare you guys to listen to his collaboration with Amelle Berrabah (“Never Leave You”) and not get it stuck in your heads! Most of his music has definite traces of dance music (ex. “Number 1” with N-Dubz) in it, so be sure to keep this guy in mind when you are doing those all nighters near finals time.
  3. Cheryl Cole: Though one-fifth of the mega girl group Girls Aloud, Cheryl Cole has unfortunately made international headlines recently for her husband’s extramarital activities. However, regardless of her husband’s affinity for the Tiger Woods’ way of life, Cole is set to put out her first solo album sometime this year. Like Justin Timberlake and Beyonce, Cole is the first from Girls Aloud to go solo, and judging from her first single “Fight For this Love,” she will definitely be successful. Most of the album is produced by Will.I.Am/ Taio Cruz and has a pop and hip-hop vibe. For a first time listener I would definitely recommend listening to “Parachute” or “Boys.”
  4. Taio Cruz: Most of you have heard Cruz’s collaboration with Ludacris (“Break Your Heart”), but he has a ton of other musical gems worth listening to. My personal favorite has to be his collaboration with Sugababes (think Destiny’s Child combined with the Spice Girls) and Busta Rhymes on the track “Like a Star.” Like Pharell and Ne-Yo, Taio Cruz is a singer-songwriter/rapper/producer and has worked with artists like Cheryl Cole, Justin Timberlake, and Britney Spears. A lot of his own tracks have a heavy bass line that is perfect for the clubs (ex. “Come on Girl”). So, when you are in need of taking a dance break from your life, be sure to put on a Taio Cruz track and proceed to shake your groove thang!

This list is by no means a definitive collection of the newest and best in British pop/hip-hop, but I hope that it piques your interest. Happy listening and let me know what you think in the comments section below 🙂

neethi

I am a sophomore in LSA (planning on majoring in English with a minor in Women Studies) from out of state (can you guess where?) whose current obsession with the show Modern Family may prevent the successful completion of this term.