Ladies and Gentlemen

Photo by Kim Anderson
Photo by Kim Anderson

Rules of etiquette have been plaguing mankind for centuries. It can be a daunting task to navigate the subtleties and intricacies of gentlemanly or ladylike behavior. One man, however, seems to have managed to pinpoint the art of being a gentleman in a list of currently 43 rules on his website titled “The Rules of a Gentleman,” which you can access here. This website’s guidelines range from heartfelt advice about love to comical suggestions of classy smoking habits to old classics such as holding the door open for a lady. The charmingly lighthearted manner of this website makes it a very enjoyable read, which one can only imagine will remain entertaining and perhaps even instructive as the list increases.

As enjoyable as this list of rules for a gentleman was, I was disappointed to discover that I could not find a comparable list for ladies, so I decided to try my hand at beginning such a list. Below are my attempts at a few rules of a lady.

*Note – Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple decades, you know that smoking is bad for your health, so don’t do it.*

I would love to hear your suggestions for more “rules of a lady.” Feel free to post them in the comments below.

A

More Fun: If you try to navigate to a nonexistent page on “The Rules of a Gentleman,” this message will display.  I thought it was quite clever.

Update: “The Rules of a Gentleman” website appears to have been deleted.  Sorry everyone.