A Precious Golden Statue

Ah. Do you smell that? It’s my favorite season.

Wait.

Did you think I meant winter? No no no – this southern girl is NOT made for the cold.

But it’s January, and that means that it’s awards season, one of my favorite times of the year. The funny thing is though – I don’t watch awards shows.

I mean, I do. I remember very vividly piling onto my mom’s bed with her and guessing who we thought would win Best Picture. But while I love awards shows, I really only made it my priority to watch the Academy Awards.

And yet, I love all them. I don’t know why – they’re mostly filled with stiff jokes and horrible acting. But for some reason, rooting for my favorite, watching someone rise to the top, or watching Leo DiCaprio get passed off yet again for that golden statue – it’s all so exciting to me.

I think the roots come from the fact that I wanted to stand on that stage one day, and smile and laugh and cry while knowing that I won something. And I can’t help to think that Anne Hathaway was that same way when she was 16.

Now, of course, I’m not 16 and I’m no longer striving to be an actress as I once was. So maybe I love awards season just because it’s nostalgic for me. Maybe I secretly love the punch lines read from cue cards (or is it cue computers now?). Who knows. But even if I didn’t watch the Golden Globes, I still love the thrill, the excitement, the sheer beauty of that one night when the people I see as talented and a literal star get rewarded for what I consider one of the hardest jobs on the market.

And so, without further ado, I present to you my challenge.

I started this a few years ago, and have not once succeeded. There is an even less likely chance that I’ll succeed this year. But my challenge is to watch every movie that was nominated for Best Picture of the Year for the 2014 Academy Awards. I won’t make it before the show (which will be airing on Sunday March 2nd for those interested), but I will try to watch them all before December. Like I said, I haven’t yet succeeded, since I’m still working on many years passed, but I want to set it as a goal, because if I don’t, I won’t put forth any effort.

And if you’d like, I extend the challenge to you. They’re just movies – take an afternoon off, watch the movies, and select which one you think deserves the award and which won you think will win (because, as often is the case, the two may not coincide). I invite you to try and watch something you may not thought of watching, and surprise yourself. All I ask is that you try, and I will do the same.

Jeannie Marie

A Venn Diagram of hipster music, sappy romantic comedies, nerd culture, adorable puppies, film trivia, totally not rigged awards shows, random illustritive quotes with a dash of not-quite-there-yet charm.