Snow Day Reflection

How did you spend your snow day?

When my friend sprang up from her seat and ran to me in the excitement of telling me the good news of getting an extra day-off, I breathed a sign of relief. Thanks to the snow, I could finally escape from the endless art history reading assignments for a while and go back early after spending three hours studying in the library and preparing for my upcoming exam on Thursday.

Actually, I only have two classes on Tuesdays, so my day was not significantly different from a normal Tuesday: getting up around 8am, having my regular breakfast in the dining hall, and heading to the library instead of classes. With tons of materials to study for exam, I planned to immerse myself in study slides and readings. However, after finding a spot by the window with a perfect view of the outside, I was surprised to see gleams of sunshine falling on the big colored glass windows and casting the reflection of myself. I was blown away by this unintentional glimpse: a nice day, despite the low temperature.

I rejoiced that I raised my head and caught this beautiful image of the snowy town, a scene I would not have noticed if I had been sitting in the auditorium listening carefully to the professor, a scene I would not have noticed if I had been hasting to finish up lunch, a scene I would not have noticed if I had been rushing from class to class worrying about being late…I almost felt like a thief, who hid in this lovely corner of the library after covertly peeling today’s page from a tear-off calendar. However, it is not fair to say that such beauty does not exist when I hurry from place to place with only one thought in mind: to get things (homework, papers, reading, etc.) done. Instead, it is me who keeps ignoring the peaceful and beautiful nature of life and chooses to constantly rush without noticing or appreciating the views along the way. I overlook many beautiful moments like this as if they never exist, but whenever I slow down and look around, they are always there.

How will you spend your next snow day? Whatever you plan to do, just take your time, and enjoy the relaxing tranquility of life.