I’m Your Shirt

Until this week, I’ve never felt like I could relate to a shirt.

That may be one of the weirdest sentences I’ve every typed out that has been based completely in reality, but it’s true. Okay, so let me explain before I start getting a bunch of concerned looks. I think one of the coolest things about music is that it can make you experience things you’ve never felt before, can take you to places you’ve never been, and can capture emotions fundamental to the human experience. It is an endless playground for artists to continually redefine and reinvigorate the same emotions and narratives, and to make space for new ones.

I was listening to an album this week by The Belle Brigade, a sibling band formed by two of composer John Williams’ grandchildren, when I came upon their song, Shirt. Let me be clear – this song is actually, completely about a shirt. The whole song is about a shirt, but it is also a wonderful metaphor for feeling worn out and being taken advantage of by people and by love, and about finding strength in your resilience. It’s a wonderful gem about coming to terms with your struggles and with your weaknesses, and about taking ownership of who you are. It was a song I didn’t know I needed this week, but I haven’t been able to stop listening to it.

It’s so cool, and such a testament to the talent of musicians and the power of music when such a simple metaphor can make such a powerful statement.

Listen to Shirt on Spotify here!