Let’s Potter It Up.

Last Thursday I promised that there was a bit of Harry Potter in the story of how I lost my first job and after explaining how Peter Jackson got me there in the first place, it is now time to potter it up:

The beautiful landscape passed by the window and left me speechless. Lakes reflected the yellow sunlight and entire forests swayed in a crisp autumn breeze. I was on the way to my new home. I had made a friend already. Ron was sitting right next to me. Since he didn’t have too much money, I had bought some candy. I just came from a place where the people are grumpy and you are not accepted for who you are: Germany. And as cool as it would have been, I do have to admit that my new friend’s name wasn’t Ron but Nico and I hadn’t bought candy for him. Technically he wasn’t even my friend at that point. But we were on the same bus and that was the start of something special…

When the bus pulled into the station and the passengers streamed out of the doors and through the steam, towards the bright, warm brick building, the sun had set and left the outside cool and dark. As my feet touched the ground I heard a loud voice shouting through the hustle and bustle. I walked a little further down the platform to look for where the voice was coming from… It was shouting my name. Not only mine, a couple of other names, too. I grabbed my backpack and as the voice got louder and louder, the silhouette of a massive, black-bearded man emerged from the darkness. He was wearing a moleskin overcoat and was about twice the size of all the people around him. Ok, actually the guy wasn’t screaming our names but had sign with our names written on it. And he wasn’t wearing a moleskin overcoat but a Merino-Sweater. And he wasn’t exactly a huge guy, but a skinny, old lady with grey hair and a funny face. And obviously there was no steam, come on, where is the steam supposed to come from at a bus station?  So basically we got out of the bus and this lady with the sign just stood there, waiting for us. We hopped into her car and she took us to the place we would live at from now on. Our new home.

Shimmering lights glimmered through the darkness of the driveway. They became increasinly bright as we climbed the hill our residence was located on. Getting closer I could see narrow, high towers and walls made from stones which seemed to have watched over the valley to our left for many hundred years. It was a castle. An old, beautiful castle. We passed a gate with two majestic boars sitting on each side, watching over whoever entered the grounds they were guarding and… You see where I’m going with this. There was no castle. I’d say you could even barely call it a house. It was four walls with a roof on top and far too many people inside. It was in a valley, not on a hill and it smelled. It was my and my companions new home, though. The old lady gave is numbered keys and pointed towards the ‘house’. I looked for my room number. When I finally got to the number plate with the number “13” on it, I realised someone else was right behind me, waiting for me to open the door: Nico, my not yet friend for a lifetime. He nodded at me. I nodded at him and we both entered the room that would change our lives forever…

Next week, a mystery will be solved in a way, that would make Miss Marple proud. It includes Nico, me and… a knife!

See you next week and remember to be the weirdest you can possibly be.