Art Biz with Liz: Paper Hearts

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, this week’s blog post will focus on a craft that’s appropriate for the holiday: paper hearts. I’ve been making these for years now, and they’re a great alternative to store-bought Valentines.

To start, get a piece of paper of any color. For this demonstration, I’ll use a red 8½ x 11 piece of paper. If you have origami paper or square-shaped paper, you can ignore the next few steps.
Take one corner and fold it down to the other side. Repeat with the other corner.
With the second corner folded downward, fold the remaining part up to create a crease.
Unfold the whole paper. Following the crease you’ve just created, cut out the bottom rectangle.
Now you have a perfect square ready for folding! (If you started with origami paper or a square piece of paper, here is where you’ll begin).
Fold the top corner to the bottom corner, folding the paper in half.
Unfold, then fold the left corner to the right corner. Unfold again.
Fold the top corner to the center of the square.
Next, fold the bottom corner to the top edge.
Fold the bottom right edge up along the center crease.
Repeat with the left side.
Fold the top and side corners back. Now you have a paper heart!

I hope you enjoyed making a paper heart! How did yours turn out? Feel free to leave any thoughts or suggestions in the comments below!

Elizabeth S

Hello! My name is Elizabeth, and I'm a senior who enjoys writing about the presence of art in everyday life. Through this blog series, I'll be documenting my experience with creative writing, music, and more on campus. Enjoy!