Scribble #8: Still Into You

“I should be over all the butterflies, but I’m into you,”

As I was walking across the snow-covered Diag earlier this week, Still Into You came on shuffle for me for the first time in months. Hayley Williams, lead singer of the band Paramore, described the band’s song as being “about commitment to that one person that you just fall in love with and you have to just choose and you have to work so hard to stay in love.” However, on my sunny, snowy walk, I began to interpret the song in a very different way. After recently coming back from a short break from being in Ann Arbor, Still Into You perfectly summed up how much I am constantly falling in love with this city.

“And baby, even on our worst nights, I’m into you.”

When I was searching for colleges in senior year of high school, my guidance counselor gave me a piece of advice I have never forgotten: “Imagine you are sick, your significant other just broke up with you, and you have two exams and two papers due this week. Go to a college where you will still be happy.” While I’m fortunate that I haven’t had that exact experience, the fact that I have two ten-plus-page papers due in two weeks, an exam in the near future, and am waiting impatiently for my registration date while helplessly watching the classes I planned on taking next semester fill up have not made this past week a stress-free experience. 

“Let ’em wonder how we got this far, ‘cause I don’t really need to wonder at all…”

Yet every single day I am here in Ann Arbor, I find myself being incredibly grateful for the city. Even though there are always ways things can improve, I often catch myself smiling at nothing in particular, simply marveling at the fact that I live here now.

“Yeah, after all this time, I’m still into you.”

After over a year of living in Ann Arbor, I would expect to feel like it was getting “old.” While it is more familiar to me now, that has only increased my love for the city. I am constantly finding new places to explore and new things to do while also making new memories in the more familiar areas. 

“Well, some things just make sense, and one of those is you and I.”

Being in the Big House when we beat Ohio State. Studying day and night while learning more than I ever have before. Coming home exhausted and burned out to a house full of my best friends. Going on a monthly self-care trip to all of the record stores within walking distance. Freezing, but seeing the sun shining on the snowy Diag, filled with other people who love being here just as much as I do. Ann Arbor, “not a day goes by that I’m not into you.”

Listen to Still Into You here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv7yHglIDsc

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!