Art Biz with Liz: Holiday Crafts

Throughout finals season, my inbox has become inundated with news about wellness events. Arts and craft sessions often fill up quickly, and with a busy schedule I decided to take up my own art projects.

While I’m sad at how quickly the school year has flown by, I’m looking forward to a break. I’m also looking forward to the holiday season! If you’ve kept up with my content, you know I love arts and crafts. For Christmas this year, my housemate and I decorated stockings for our friend group. Stuffed with candy and other goodies, the stockings looked great adorned in glitter glue. I also enjoyed making handmade ornaments. The snowflake ornaments still need ribbon, but the only materials required for these—besides the wooden base—were white paint, glitter glue, and sharpie. Handmade ornaments are a wonderful craft to give as a gift because of how unique, collectible, and personalized they are. They are more than decorations for a Christmas tree, as they capture meaning and memories. I messed up these last two, but the process was fun, and the recipients enjoyed them.

Making holiday crafts is a fun activity for people of all ages to enjoy. For college students, it could be something done as a break from finals or something to look forward to. Plus, it’s a great activity to do with friends in cozy pajamas. What are you waiting for? Turn up the holiday music, make yourself some cocoa or cocktails, and get to crafting!

Elizabeth S

Hello! My name is Elizabeth, and I'm a senior who enjoys writing about the presence of art in everyday life. Through this blog series, I'll be documenting my experience with creative writing, music, and more on campus. Enjoy!