TOLAROIDS: Macro photography

Macro photography is a difficult photography genre: The objects are hard to spot in the first place, then they usually move too fast to take a non-blurry photo or disappear before adjusting the settings. There are many guides online that give tips on how to approach macro photography, giving advice in everything from adjusting the composition to buying specialized equipment. However, I think that you can start macro photography at a decent level just with your phone or an amateur camera. The hardest thing in my opinion is spotting the object to photograph in the first place, and so whenever I am in a place where I think I can have a photography opportunity I tried to be very observant and attentive. Once you do have your subject, try experimenting with settings a bit, keeping in mind that zooming in and out will require a change in other settings. Many photographers decide on low aperture which will allow you to have the blurry background effect and really focus on your subject, so you can’t go wrong with that! I am attaching some examples I found in my gallery. Feel free to reach out with any questions or comments 🙂

-T.

akilian

Tola is a young photographer from Krakow, Poland. She transferred to the University of Michigan in Fall 2021 from Royal Holloway, University of London, to double-major in Biopsychology, Cognition & Neuroscience and Classical Archaeology. Her series "Tolaroids" consists of photo stories, tutorials, and commentaries that explore all kinds of photography. In her free time, she loves dancing, painting, and sipping good coffee. She also pets all the dogs she can meet on the way to class. Instagram: @akilian.jpg Email: akilian@umich.edu