Scribble #15: Winter

I only can see myself skating around the truth who I am,”

Self-discovery at college is as terrifying as it is liberating. I was not prepared for how difficult it would be to decide who I want my friends to be when I am not even sure who I want to be yet. After this month’s below-freezing temperatures and last week’s snowstorm, I can relate even more strongly to today’s song: Winter by Tori Amos. 

“But I know… the ice is getting thin.”

Generally speaking, I am confident in myself and I like who I am. Even so, I’ve realized that recently I haven’t been as patient and forgiving with myself as I should be. Holding myself to a high standard is part of who I am. It is something that I think is great about me, but I realize that sometimes the standard I hold myself to is not realistic and I end up actually holding myself back.

“When you gonna make up your mind?”

Though I have been trying to figure myself out throughout my college experience so far, I have never been so confident in the people I have chosen to be my friends. Not only did I choose them, but they chose me back. We see potential in each other. They’re my supporters, my inspirations, and my confidants, as I am for them. 

“When you gonna love you as much as I do?”

I will navigate this life of self-discovery with the help of my newfound friends. I will let go to the best of my ability and allow myself to grow without putting pressure on myself. I will embrace the uncertainty and the change and my decisions. Most importantly, I will be gentle with myself. This is a learning process, and I have no right to expect myself to be perfect. I am not ready to make every decision about who I want to be (nor should I be), but I am ready to make one decision. It is time for me to decide to love myself the way that I am loved by my family and friends. 

“’Cause things are gonna change so fast.”

Listen to Winter here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw431cX0mgQ

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!