Industrious Illustrating #10: In Progress

Can you believe that the semester is basically over? I’ve been pretty busy with moving out of the dorms and preparing for the next con I’ll sell artwork at, which is Anime Park 2022 held at Canton High School on May 7th. If any of you guys are still in the Ann Arbor area around that time, I’d love to see you there!

Anyway, I only have some lighting studies from James Gurney’s excellent book “Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter” (still planning on expanding the canvas and adding more studies, hence the empty space) and a very messy preparatory sketch for a painting to share this week. I feel like two weaknesses in my art are bland lighting/values and not rendering my paintings enough, so those are the issues I’m actively working on. Honestly, I’m not satisfied with the limited artistic progress I’ve made this semester, but I’ll also try not to be too hard on myself when I’m ultimately still human.

The final post of this semester will be next week on May 4th as a final send-off for the winter semester. But that’s not the end! I will be returning to Arts Ink in the fall, and I plan on posting lots of the artwork I created over the summer. Stay tuned for that!

Robin

I'm Robin (he/they), a third year enrolled as a User Experience Design student. I'm especially interested in eventually professionally creating artwork for entertainment such as animated films, books, and video games. I want to share my artwork with a wider audience using this blog, and I also want to open up a conversation about what goes into making illustrations and artwork both on the creative and business sides..