Industrious Illustrating #16 – Table Layout

Boo! You didn’t expect an Industrious Illustrating post on Halloween, did you? Yes, this post is three days late, but that’s part of the spooky surprise!

In reality, I’ve been so busy with preparing for Youmacon, aka the first big pop culture-related convention I’m selling at, that updating this weekly column slipped my mind. But I can now share the test table setup I made with my tablemate yesterday! We don’t have all of our prints displayed yet, and we’ll probably move some things around as well to maximize visibility, but this is close to what our final table setup will look like this weekend! Also, I wish I could share what our table number is, but that’ll likely have to wait until the post I make this Friday (first day of Youmacon). If any readers are planning on attending Youmacon 2022 in Detroit, I look forward to seeing you there!

Speaking honestly here, while I do enjoy working on more refined and detailed paintings to turn into prints, I also feel like I’ve been slacking a lot on making life studies and personal artwork, rather than just painting what I think will sell to an audience. That’s not to say that I feel like I’m not making progress in my art, but I do feel like I could be pushing myself in more ways than I am at the moment.

Even though it’s not New Year’s yet — we still have Thanksgiving and Christmas left to go before the end of 2022 — my resolution is to study more of the pictures I took of the scenery and other peoples’ artwork while exploring Hong Kong this summer and implement those studies into my artwork as an illustrator and character designer.

Anyway, I hope to see you guys this Friday either in person or with my next Industrious Illustrating column!

Robin

I'm Robin (he/they), a third year enrolled as a User Experience Design student. I'm especially interested in eventually professionally creating artwork for entertainment such as animated films, books, and video games. I want to share my artwork with a wider audience using this blog, and I also want to open up a conversation about what goes into making illustrations and artwork both on the creative and business sides..