S2 Scribble #10: Mother

“Go, go, go, go, now, out of the nest it’s time…”

In less than a week, I leave for my semester in Berlin, Germany. Studying abroad in Berlin is something I’ve dreamed about for years (I even cried tears of joy when I got my acceptance letter), but now, as my departure date gets closer and closer, I can’t help but wonder how I’m actually going to be able to do this.

“Here, here, now, don’t cry, you raised your hand for the assignment…”

Intellectually, I know that I will be able to “do this.” I know that I’ll have a life changing experience and broaden my perspective of the world, and I know that I will forever appreciate taking advantage of this opportunity to study abroad. It’s like how I felt when I first arrived at Michigan, but instead of an eight hour drive, it’s two flights that take a bit more time than that. Instead of a roommate, I’ll be living with a host family. Instead of walking through campus, I’ll be navigating public transportation to get to my classes. The possibilities and opportunities will be endless, but the closer my flight comes, the more I seem to be focused on the stressful unknowns as opposed to the exciting ones.

“First my left foot, then my right behind the other…”

But, like my first semester at Michigan, once I am there, finding my way will be natural – I won’t have a choice. I have already made a bucket list of some of the things I want to do while abroad, and I’m sure plenty more things will be added. I am looking forward to meeting my host family, professors, classmates, and new friends. I’m thrilled to be able to walk the same streets that some of my favorite artists walked on 40 years prior and explore a city I’ve wanted to visit for years. As anxious as I may be at this moment, I believe that will soon subside once I arrive in Berlin. For all the anxiety I may feel right now, I know deep down that for every piece of me that is anxious, I am several times more hopeful and excited for my semester abroad.

“Mother the car is here, somebody leave the light on… just in case I like the dancing,”

I’ll be pausing my Song Scribbles blogs while abroad, but if you’d like to continue supporting my writing (and keep up with my adventures in Berlin), feel free to check out my new blog: https://www.iesabroad.org/correspondents/sydney-braun. I look forward to creating more Song Scribbles blogs in the future, but for now, Auf Wiedersehen!

“I can remember where I come from.”

Listen to Mother by Tori Amos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uaA23WOytc

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!