OTM #32: Time and Place

I think I’m starting to truly feel like an adult. That may sound silly, but to me it’s dreadfully serious. I’ve spent some time at my family’s home for the holidays, and every morning I woke up in a state of emotional confusion. I open my eyes and something feels wrong; I feel like I’m not supposed to be in my childhood bed. My body’s first reaction is to feel discomfort, to say, “you don’t belong here anymore.” Of course, I love my childhood bedroom and find it to be comforting, yet there’s this tiny voice in my brain that’s creating some distance between who I am today and who I was growing up. It’s telling me that I’m an impersonator of the younger me. College is this odd time where we are given transition time between high school and adulthood, time to navigate what “adulting” means and who we truly are, and I think a lot of times that can cause some natural and necessary discomfort. Discomfort makes life more interesting, so it’s okay. Have a great week!

katelynski

Hello, I'm Katelyn Sliwinski! I'm a senior studying communications with a minor in writing, but I previously was studying digital illustration, so I'm happy to be sharing my art with you! I want to use my artwork to appreciate the mundanities of daily life; it's improved my mental health tenfold to just stop and look around once and a while, so I seek to capture that joy and show it to you!