OTM #37: Diner

During fall break, I went home to see my family as I usually do. It was super relaxing and peaceful, and great to see everyone again. In a cartoonishly funny coincidence, though, I got invited to the same diner three days in a row. It’s one of my boyfriend and I’s favorites, and every time I go there I get the same thing – I can’t help it, the spinach and feta omelette is so good! Funny enough, the server was also the same each day. I was certain she’d recognize me, embarrassed about how silly I looked. On day two, I was saved; she either didn’t recognize me or chose not to acknowledge my repetitive eating habits. But day three, she brought it up. Even though she was sweet and happy about it, I felt like I was in a second-hand embarrassment scene in a sitcom. Right after calling me out for coming again, she asked for my order, and I avoided eye contact as I ordered the same thing for the third day in a row. Embarrassing. But so good. It was worth it.

katelynski

Hello, I'm Katelyn Sliwinski! I'm a senior studying communications with a minor in writing, but I previously was studying digital illustration, so I'm happy to be sharing my art with you! I want to use my artwork to appreciate the mundanities of daily life; it's improved my mental health tenfold to just stop and look around once and a while, so I seek to capture that joy and show it to you!