S3 Scribble #5: Metal Water Wood

“I feel like an imposter should,”

Recently, I’ve been planning out my final semester of my undergraduate education. It’s been stressful, as future planning and class registration tend to be. This time, though, I’m searching for an internship. Going into my target career field of sustainability is an exciting prospect, but I’ve been experiencing some imposter syndrome. I may be just over a semester away from graduating with my bachelor’s degree, but I can’t help but worry that I am unprepared for the real world.

“As you shape-shift through the Earth.”

These past few weeks, I’ve talked and met with many professionals and academics who I have viewed as my superiors. Somehow, these interactions have been overwhelmingly positive, and they give me a renewed faith in myself, my passion, and my knowledge. I need to remember these feelings when imposter syndrome and anxiety try to creep in. These may be uncomfortable feelings, but that is all they are: uncomfortable. I know that I am stronger than my fears.

“You knew me as fire; you have always been metal, water, wood,”

When it comes to the elements, I’ve always viewed myself as fire. Passionate, loud, and not afraid to speak up. This is funny, considering I’m a Leo, one of the fire signs, even funnier because this had no influence on me seeing myself as a fiery person. However, right now is a time of such growth and change for me, and I think it has become time for me to move forward more like water: relaxed, flexible, and gentle, but equally as powerful as fire. 

“Be like water.”

My dad said this to me this past weekend: “be like water; stay water.” Flow freely, allow myself to be flexible with the waves and the tides of life. Do not stay rigid. Things change, and I must be able to adjust along with them. This conversation reminded me of a song I love by one of my favorite artists, Tori Amos, from her environmentally-focused album Ocean to Ocean. How fitting! Listening to this song has energized me: I have all the strength I need, and it’s been inside of me all along. Now to start my journey of being like water: remaining flexible through it all.

“You tell me, ‘Be like water.’”

Listen to Metal Water Wood by Tori Amos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrnE4nYNYk

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!