The Staying Power

This week, one of my favorite bands released a music video. Well, not really a music video. It was a filmed performance of a song at one of their concerts from their last tour which, sadly, I was unable to attend. And just a few days ago, this video made big news.

Why, you may ask? Because it was Panic! At The Disco singing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Now I will be the first to say that my mom raised me right when it comes to music. Even though I pretty much missed the whole “Backstreet Boys” craze thing of the 90s (but hey, I still know almost every word to “I Want It That Way” so I’m not a total loser, right?), my mom raised me on The Eagles, The Beatles, The Four Tops, Duran Duran, Steppenwolf…the list goes on. When I was 8 I could probably sing every word to “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” and “A Hard Day’s Night”, and at the time I didn’t think this was a big deal; I didn’t know why my mom would make me listen to these old bands when all my friends were singing Christina Aguilera at me. But as I got older, I realized that my eternal love for classics was a really, really good thing.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with our current pop music. Believe me, I will be the first to admit that I’m that one girl screaming SHAKE IT OFF, JUST SHAKE IT OFF in her room while she’s changing her sheets (but only when my roommate isn’t around, of course). Last year Katy Perry’s “Roar” was my ultimate anthem. Pop music is vital to a country’s culture; it defines how the country feels at the moment, whether it be eternally sick of I’m so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, or falling in love with Sia’s latest brilliance (â”Chandeliers” is seriously gorgeous). People can connect instantly by just mentioning a song they heard on the radio an hour ago.

But then where does that leave Panic! At The Disco? And where did Queen come from, and how did they get so popular? I think one of my favorite conversations revolving around music, especially when you make friends with people who like classic rock, is the “who will stay” conversation.

Starting around the 50s and 60s, brilliant artists emerged who decided to do things with music that had never been done before. Elvis swung his hips and Bob Dylan started a movement, and we remember those artists for their contribution to the art of music, even if we don’t listen to them. You’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t recognize an Aerosmith song, or has never heard of Led Zepplin. But it’s a lot harder now to find artists who are breaking boundaries like these guys did because…well, these guys paved the way.

And the fact is, bands just aren’t popular anymore. Sure, you can lash out at me with about a dozen bands who put music on the radio consistently, but the majority of artists creating music are solo, which starkly contrasts with how it was from 1964 onwards.

So here you have Panic! At The Disco, a marginally popular but by no means explosive alt-pop band, covering Queen’s classic anthem? eulogy? I don’t even know how to classify the epic-ness that is “Bohemian Rhapsody”, but as I watched I seriously doubted if Brenden had the chops to perform such a heavily revered piece of art. I was pleasantly surprised that I did in fact enjoy it, but it made me wonder if my children will like Panic! At The Disco like I liked Queen. Of course, they’ll listen to it – even though I do admit to being a lover of pop I spend more time in the indie realm of music, and that’s where my children will be.

But when I introduce Death Cab for Cutie to them, will they instead be talking about that one Australian girl who tried to rap? I don’t know the answer to most of the questions I’ve asked, but I hope that the artists who work hard, who pour their blood and sweat and tears and soul into crafting lyrical and musical art, that they’ll be the ones that will be remembered – whether they come from a pop background or whether they hardly make the Billboard Top 100.

Right now, a song called “All About That Bass” is number one on the Top 100 chart. So I wonder – in ten years, will I be laughing at someone who covers it, or will I be clapping?

Special shoutout to the Billboard Top 100 for helping with some of the research…I mean really, how would I know that “All About That Bass” is number one right now?

Jeannie Marie

A Venn Diagram of hipster music, sappy romantic comedies, nerd culture, adorable puppies, film trivia, totally not rigged awards shows, random illustritive quotes with a dash of not-quite-there-yet charm.