Finding Brandon Graham

When you are bored enough, you find the most interesting things on the Internet. For me it was a couple of comics, specifically those by a man named Brandon Graham. By no means am I a comic book nerd. I say this not as a reluctance to be a comic book nerd, but rather because it would be an insult to those who actually are truly comic lovers. Prior to my discovery of Brandon Graham, the only things I had read were Alan Moore’s “Watchmen” and “V for Vendetta” both of which were both very good reads. However, these two comics or ‘graphic novels’ were narratively driven and the art wasn’t exactly eye popping.
Off of these two books alone, I realized just how inventive the comic format was. I became fascinated by the storytelling possibilities that the medium offered. However, I never fully invested my time into comics because I found it to be a daunting task – like jumping into a show that has six seasons worth of episodes that you need to catch up on. (Not a great analogy because a TV show, being quite the passive form of entertainment, is far less daunting than actually buying and reading all those comic books). So for the most part I reservedmyself to reading graphic novels or completed collections, just to make my life easier.

Reading Graham’s “Multiple Warheads” is the first comic I have read in a long time, and it was awesome. Not so much because of the story, but the art, was just so pretty. His art is like a mash up of graffiti, manga, and Tin Tin. 

Here is one of his panels.

Just looking at this makes me wish I never stopped drawing.
I suppose there is no real point to this post other than me wanting to share this others.
The comic book is a truly interesting medium, and I for one, a recently declared English major, would not mind writing stories and working alongside an artist to make a comic.

Here is an interview of Brandon Graham to close it off.