Becoming A Feminist Through Literature

I have always believed in the equality of genders, but I used to be afraid of the term “feminist” and I could never really see the immense disparity of power between the genders. I will never really see all the nuances of gender bias because I am male and have the power to ignore it, but now I am not afraid to attack rampant sexism of our culture. I owe this to a few powerful books I have read and a class that forced me to think about the issues in the books.

The class I took was CompLit 140 and while it was not my favorite class I have ever taken, I cannot thank it enough for changing me into a better person. Being forced to discuss feminism and sexism through a literary lens was immensely eye opening experience. The most notable novels that really affected me were Their Eyes Were Watching God and The Vagina Monologues. Perhaps this was because I had to analyze these two books the most as I don’t think they would have had the same impact if I read them for myself.

I would say that Their Eyes Were Watching God was my first real introduction to the feminist lens. When reading and analyzing this novel, I had to carefully dissect every character and plot line in order to really see the underlying feminist themes of the novel. My feminism grew with the love for the character Janie Crawford. Janie Crawford is far from a perfect person and that is why she is such a powerful character. She is one of the most well-rounded characters I have ever had the pleasure to experience. All of her choices are perfect to her character and they serve as a strong insight into the mentality of the character. Her growth and struggles throughout the novel helped to show me the issues of society through a female’s perspective. This novel’s ability to subtly portray these issues is truly beautiful and I would recommend it to any person.

While I do love Janie Crawford, the most important novel that I read through that class was absolutely The Vagina Monologues. I’m not sure if I’ll ever find anything that was as powerful as that was. Eve Ensler’s writing was deeply affecting and uncomfortable and inspiring. It is one of the best things I have ever read in my life and I hope to one day be able to see Eve Ensler perform these monologues herself. She discusses all the topics necessary for burgeoning feminist like I was. Her discussion of issues that I never thought about was what really made me turn the corner towards the label “feminist”. I urge everyone to please read this or go to a performance of it. I know it can be uncomfortable to read about the vagina, but that is why this book exists. It necessary for society to stop turning everything about the female gender into something to be ashamed of. These monologues are a necessity.

This is not why I am a feminist. I believe I would have become less afraid of the word one at some point in my life, but I probably wouldn’t be the fighter I am today without this class and these novels.

Thomas Degroat

A student majoring in Neuroscience, art is a second passion to him. He is particularly fond of analyzing film, theater, television, and literature. If he had not found love within science, he would most assuredly be a Comparative Literature major. His review inspirations are Lindsay Ellis, Rantasmo, and Chris Stuckman.