On the Bookshelf

Because of my love of literature and the power that I believe it can have over people, I have decided to compile a list of 5 novels that I believe should be read and have a place on everybody’s bookshelf. These aren’t even necessarily the my favorites, but novels that I believe have an importance, whether that importance be to individual growth or to literary history. These are in no particular order. Perhaps, I will construct another list of important novels in the future.

1. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
    • This novel is one of the most powerful novels one can ever read. It details the life of a Black man and his complicated position in a both overtly and subtly racist world. This is perhaps the best novel to read if you are interested in Black history. It’s set in the 50’s and gives the reader a true look into the struggles that people of color have had to and still have to face. In additon, the prose is beautifully rich and complex. It weaves metaphors into absurdities into ideologies.
  2. The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler
    • This is a great introduction to feminism. While it certainly has issues in the type of feminism it portrays, it still has an overall powerful message. It holds nothing back and forces the reader to face the issues that we would prefer to ignore.
  3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    • This novel is the beginning of science fiction and it is beautifully written. In contrast to how the movies portray the story, the narrative is much more philosophical than given credit. I wouldn’t even consider it a horror story, like it was originally intended to be. It asks a lot of important questions about what it means to be human and when violence is appropriate.
  4. Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
    • This is actually a novel that I don’t personally like. I dislike this novel because I cannot stand the character of Holden Caulfield, but I appreciate the novel for its beautiful plot construction. The emotional journey that the character goes through is great, even if the character is insufferable. It’s a great look into the effects of emotional isolation.
  5. The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God by Etgar Keret
    • This book is actually a stand in for any short story collection written by Etgar Keret. His stories are surreal looks at the everyday lives of everyday people. They’re wonderfully strange without immense purple prose weighing it down. Instead, Keret chooses to use common, colloquial, and sometimes vulgar language to narrate his stories. This creates a powerful sense of realness, and when mixed with the absurdity, causes the stories to be a joy to read. In addition, a lot of his stories tap into something deeper. He looks at the small things in life, but makes them important. This is definitely an unusual genre, but one that should be experienced.

Thomas Degroat

A student majoring in Neuroscience, art is a second passion to him. He is particularly fond of analyzing film, theater, television, and literature. If he had not found love within science, he would most assuredly be a Comparative Literature major. His review inspirations are Lindsay Ellis, Rantasmo, and Chris Stuckman.