Fine Art Fables: The Vila

Due to the atrocities occurring in Ukraine, I have decided this week to feature the nymphs, Vila, of Slavic folklore.

The Vila (also known as Vile) of Slavic folklore are depicted as very beautiful women with long flowing blonde hair and light colored robes. They live in the forests, in nature, and sometimes fountains. They are known to be vengeful creatures on those who cross them, specifically luring men to their deaths with their beauty. However, they can also be aids to heroes in battle, offering them cavalry and weapons. Village people would leave flowers and drinks outside of the caves they were said to dwell as peaceful offerings. They are similar to the women of the woods who would accompany Diana in Roman mythology, and Artemis in Greek mythology. Because of their vengeful nature and relationships with warriors, they are also similar to the Valkyries of Norse mythology; winged female beings that would aid soldiers in battle and take their souls to the underworld. 

Given that Ukraine’s national flower is a sunflower, I thought that depicting this woodland nymph in a field of sunflowers would be fitting. I made her dress and ribbon of her hair blue, due to the secondary color of the Ukrainian flag. I also depicted her with a bow and several magical arrows because of the Vila’s connection with war. I kept the idea of long blonde hair as well. Because of their feared beauty, I kept her facing away from the viewer. 

Sierra Iverson

My name is Sierra Snow Iverson, and I'm a junior pursing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at the Penny W. Stamps School of Art and Design. I have a focus in animation and film due to my intense interest in storytelling. However, I have a background in Illustration and 2D Design. The content of my postings will center around fables and myths from around the world through a combination of illustrations and written material.