The Indian Artist, Revamped: New Year, New Me!

Hello everyone! I hope that you are all doing well and have had a great semester thus far! After some careful consideration and introspection, I present to you my new and improved column: The Indian Artist, Revamped with Riya Aggarwal! This column will maintain the same framework as my old column, stayed rooted in my culture and heritage. However, this time, I am expanding beyond just my Hindu culture. I wanted to integrate my passion for art with the other fields of study that I am interested in. As some of you may know, I am currently pursuing a career in medicine, majoring in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology with a double minor in Art & Design and Sociology of Health & Medicine on the pre-med track. Perhaps even more than my art, this is an large part of my life. I spend most of my time involved in STEM coursework, biomedical engineering research, and working at the U of M Hospital. As I get closer and closer to my medical school journey, I wanted to include more of myself, outside of just my culture, into my posts.

My posts last semester started feeling a bit uninspired so I wanted to “revamp” my column. I hope to open up discussion even further into the worlds of medicine, ethics, and culture with an emphasis on art, design, and innovation. I officially invite you all to The Indian Artist, Revamped! I am truly so excited to share even more of my passions with you all. This column has been an incredible opportunity for me throughout the past two years and I look forward to the next two!

I will be posting weekly on Mondays evenings this year. Please feel free to reach out to me or comment if you have any questions, concerns, or thoughts!

Until next Monday,

Riya

Instagram: @riya_aggarwal.art

Portfolio: https://theindianartist.weebly.com/

Riya A

My name is Riya and I am currently a Senior at U of M studying Molecular Biology with a double minor in Art & Design and Sociology on the pre-med track. Art has been a huge passion of mine from a very young age and in the final iteration of my column, I look forward to sharing my passions as they connect to my culture, medicine, and art.