Fable Friday: Artemis

Hello everyone! If you remember Fine Art Fables from last Winter semester at all, I am back at it but with a slightly different twist. This time around I will be focusing more on character designs of the characters featured in many mythological stories. To add a fun twist, the works will be done in the style of Winx Club,

This week I am focusing on Artemis, virgin Greek Goddess of the Moon, the hunt, wildlife, and protector of women and children. The post from this week is inspired by a book I’ve been reading: Artemis: The Indomitable Spirit in Everywoman by Jean Shinoda Bolen. It is about the Artemis psychological archetype that some women identify with, which is essentially a woman that has a long-term goal or target and is able to rise to whatever challenge necessary to reach that goal. Artemis is atypically represented as a woman wearing a short tunic, carrying a bow and arrow. I wanted to try and make her bow and arrows more fantastical than realistic, like she can summon them whenever she pleases. I also kept her feet bare, like she would be more in-tune with nature that way, and also quieter for hunting.

Sierra Iverson

My name is Sierra Snow Iverson, and I'm a junior pursing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at the Penny W. Stamps School of Art and Design. I have a focus in animation and film due to my intense interest in storytelling. However, I have a background in Illustration and 2D Design. The content of my postings will center around fables and myths from around the world through a combination of illustrations and written material.