The Indian Artist, Revamped: Happy New Year!

Good morning everyone! I hope that you have all had a wonderful start to 2023! To be completely honest, I haven’t touched any of my paintings for about 7 months now. There always seems to be something better that I have to prioritize, something else that I should be doing. In the midst of studying, focusing on classes, and stressing over life, I completely pushed my art to the side. I told myself, “Once this exam is over, once the semester is over, once this small thing is over, then I will reward myself and start a new painting….”

But life never stops!

I realized that I have completely forgone one of the only things that brings me true joy and acts as my cathartic release. However, the thought persists that being able to do my art is the prize, rather than something I should be able to integrate into my every day life, something that will help me to get through all else. One of my biggest goals in 2023 is to get over this mental block. I hope to be able to cultivate a better balance within myself and my life. I have truly learned that pushing away all self care (whatever that may look like for you) in the hopes of devoting all of my attention to studying or my goals, is counterintuitive, and has done more harm than good.

I hope that by the end of the month I will be able to post that I finally started a new painting, the idea of which has been living rent free in my mind for almost a year! This one may be my best one yet! What are your goals for 2023? What changes do you hope to see within yourself? What changes do you hope to see in your life? Is there anything you are trying to get over?

Please let me know if there is anything that you all would like to see from me this new year. If any questions or thoughts arise, please comment or reach out to me via my socials!

Until next week,

Riya

Instagram: @riya_aggarwal.art

Portfolio:  https://theindianartist.weebly.com/ 

Riya A

My name is Riya and I am currently a Senior at U of M studying Molecular Biology with a double minor in Art & Design and Sociology on the pre-med track. Art has been a huge passion of mine from a very young age and in the final iteration of my column, I look forward to sharing my passions as they connect to my culture, medicine, and art.