The Jukebox: Killer Whale

Lyrics from “Killer Whale” by Boyscott. I interpreted this song as a story about two people who’s lives rely on each other. Personally, I relate this song to my brother and I. We’ve been close our entire lives, so it feels as though we’re permanently tied, both by family and what we’ve been through. The song puts an emphasis on ‘home’ and the idea of leaving and coming back to it. As each person goes through their own struggles in life, it seems like the other acts as an anchor. They both try to be there for each other while also trying not to get lost themselves. I wanted to visualize this connection through a red cord tying the two characters together. As the first character ‘loses heart’ the cord unravels, loosening its hold on the other. I think this push and pull of needing another person can be seen in a lot of different relationships, but this is how I hear the song!

thimai

Thi Mai is a junior majoring in biology, health & society. They love making digital art and comics, and want to start expanding into animation. This semester, they are working towards completing an animated short film. Check out "Frame by Frame" every Sunday night for progress updates and reflection on the process! You can find more of their work on their Tumblr blog: https://cherryysocks.tumblr.com/