Frame by Frame: Wind

This week I began working on animating the first scene of my project. The scene is primarily composed of establishing shots, so the main movement I needed to create was caused by the wind. My process consists of diving layers into their moving parts: ie. grass 1, shading 1, hair 1, color 1, saving that as a frame, then minimizing the opacity of these layers and drawing a new frame over top. The main difficulties I encountered were trying to create overall cohesive movements throughout this process and managing all the layers I was working on simultaneously. I noticed after edited together all the frames that there were certain layers I forgot to include when saving, which is something I’ll needed to return to fix later. Overall though, I’d say this process works fairly efficiently and I’m excited to continue experimenting with movement in later scenes! My progress so far is embedded below:

thimai

Thi Mai is a junior majoring in biology, health & society. They love making digital art and comics, and want to start expanding into animation. This semester, they are working towards completing an animated short film. Check out "Frame by Frame" every Sunday night for progress updates and reflection on the process! You can find more of their work on their Tumblr blog: https://cherryysocks.tumblr.com/