OTM #41: Hero

The other day, I had to show some of my artwork for a writing project. I’m usually not one to flex that I draw, particularly due to the fact that I don’t like special attention. But that day, a classmate told me my work looks like it was inspired by Bryan Lee O’Malley, author of the “Scott Pilgrim” series. O’Malley has been an art hero of mine since I was fourteen — my heart practically burst out of my chest upon hearing the compliment. Alongside the recent release of the “Scott Pilgrim” anime, I’ve been drawing huge inspiration from the series’ art style. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to step away from yourself and realize that your heroes have indeed contributed to your growth. That’s the coolest feeling ever!!!

katelynski

Hello, I'm Katelyn Sliwinski! I'm a senior studying communications with a minor in writing, but I previously was studying digital illustration, so I'm happy to be sharing my art with you! I want to use my artwork to appreciate the mundanities of daily life; it's improved my mental health tenfold to just stop and look around once and a while, so I seek to capture that joy and show it to you!