S3 Scribble #8: Schreien!

“Berlin, ganz insgeheim” (“Berlin, in complete secrecy,”)

2023 Spotify Wrapped was released today, and my most listened to song of the year is the song for today’s Scribble: Schreien! by Paula Carolina. I learned about this song while I was studying abroad in Berlin this past winter semester and I listened to it many times while I was living in the city. Now, back in the United States, it never fails to make me happy when I hear it, as it reminds me of my amazing memories in Berlin. It’s one of those songs I haven’t gotten sick of no matter how often I listen to it.

“Gehen wir nachts auf ein Parkhaus und schreien, schreien, schreien, schreien, schreien!” (“Let’s go to a car park at night and scream, scream, scream, scream, scream!”)

My time in Berlin has had an undeniable impact on the music that I listen to: according to Spotify, my top five most listened to songs of 2023 are all in German, and three of my top five artists are German as well. While I was a fan of some German artists before my time abroad, four months in Berlin exposed me to so much more music that I previously had no idea existed.

“Berlin, ja ganz allein” (“Berlin, yeah, all alone,”)

During my experience abroad, I was able to go to concerts for German bands that I love, meet German music artists who I admire, and get to know many fans who have since become close friends of mine. Being into German music helped me practice my language skills abroad and continues to be a way for me to work on my German while I’m in Ann Arbor. 

“Berliner Luft ist rein” (“Berlin air is pure,”)

I knew studying abroad would change my life, but I didn’t know how significant of an effect it would have on my Spotify Wrapped. My time in Berlin has clearly added a new dimension to my music taste, and it was on full display as I scrolled through my Wrapped this morning. I am beyond grateful that whenever I put on my headphones and listen to some German music, I am able to have a piece of my study abroad experience with me wherever I go. 

“Komm wir schreien, schreien, schreien, schreien, schreien!” (“Come on, let’s scream, scream, scream, scream, scream!”)

Listen to Schreien! by Paula Carolina here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFS6k6sMF8

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!