Chapter 2

AI in Music

This week, I came across an interesting article, in the latest news, that talks about the ending of popular songs on Tik Tok due to safety issues from AI. As most of us scroll through Tik Tok every day, there are many songs that are produced from AI, mimicking another artist. Many times, I am not aware of this. I simply just scroll through without realizing that a song is not from the actual artist. That is how good but scary AI is. If AI is already this advanced, how further can it be developed? While I see many benefits, it is far more dangerous for the music industry. With AI reproducing replicas of big artists songs/voices, musicians are concerned over the “little protection for their own names, likenesses, and voices being used without their permission.” Yet, others argue that because AI is coming, musicians need to accept it.  Otherwise, it is “just going to kill us all.” In the future, is it possible AI can take over human jobs? I think it is incredibly important to be increasingly aware of the development of technology in the music industry and its effects on artists.  

I have attached the article to this post, as it is very fascinating. See you next week!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-an-ai-feud-is-roiling-the-music-industry-170050349.html

Hannah Park

Hannah Park is a freshman piano performance major at the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance. Captured Moments is a series in which she shares her day in the life, and her thoughts on the latest music industry news.