Observer: Calendar imitation storytelling

This piece is a poster design for my original story taken place in ancient Chinese society. I originally thought about doing character illustrations with color, but recently I have been doing a lot of poster design works and just naturally drafted my project in a composition including words and information, which comes more and more like a poster design, in the end I decided to let it flow. I choose to use black and white this time as comparison to the mainstream poster designs. I use the poster to express my characters and the storyline happened in the plot. Some of my ideas come from traditional calendar design and incorporated typography designs to make them more interesting. This poster is about my story that I imagined with swordsmen, representing my love for fantasy and my enthusiasm for storytelling. I included several different art styles in it, including doodles, realistic, and figure sketches to achieve the goal of combining my interest in different art styles. 

zbn

This is Zoe, I am from New York, currently a student at the University of Michigan. I do illustrations, 2D animations, and 3D animations. My art focus mainly on storytelling, diversity, and student life. :) Feel free to check out my art website: https://zbn731.wixsite.com/zbart