A Wolverine Abroad: And the Art Fair Returns with a Burst of Color!

Yeah, so this isn’t food like I promised. I know I could talk to you for hours about food, but I didn’t end up going anywhere fancy this week. I did however cook a huge delicious meatloaf, my contest complimented  parmesan mashed potatoes, and real American biscuits made from Bisquick, imported in a care package of a friend. Basically, a delicious American meal to give me a break from the Italian food. It is amazing, I know, but sometimes there is just too much pasta! So for this week I would like to show you another artist I discovered at the art fair. Name: Sandy Skoglund. Media: I’m not really sure…photos? Sculpture? Both? Will someone tell me?

What I like so much about this artist is the use of color and repeating shapes. The use of certain shapes and objects, such as popcorn, squirrels, fish, and babies creates a landscape that is so impressive and so interesting. I think these images provide us with a new way to view the space that we occupy and even the objects that accompany us.

The bold colors in this work, red and yellow, are almost shocking to your eyes, which adds so much to the actual representation of the photo. The man is cowering in fear under a stool being surrounded by the tiny army men he once played with. The picture is like pain and fear, red and yellow, plastic and flesh. The tiny little details that went into making this must have been incredibly infuriating. Every angle and every position exactly perfect to create these feelings. Just amazing.

And then an image like this comes along and you see the contrast of colors and light, nature and humanity, melancholy and hopeful dreaming. The flying orange fish are like something out of a dream world, while the cold blue plastic furniture and light give us the image of a sad point in the figure’s life. It really is so deep and fantastic

Speaking of nature and humanity, look at this mesh of the two. The mixture of the sculptures and the human figures, the trees that walk like us, the creation of forms from the natural elements and from the same clay (or whatever media it is) as the rest of the landscape. And Skoglund uses colors like I’ve never seen before. She puts them next to each other and dares you to think deeper, pushes you to imagine what you can do with these colors.

All in all, she is fantastic. I have been putting her name into the search bar and the images that come up are just fabulous. I would definitely recommend taking a look. I know you all just got back from Spring Break (which I don’t get till Easter by the way) and that you have midterms, but give her a quick ten minutes. You won’t be sorry!

Ciao ciao!
Danny Fob
Your Wolverine Abroad Blogger

Ciao ciao!

Danny Fob

Your Wolverine Abroad Blogger